Working to improve the lives of children and adults with mental illnesses and their families
On September 27-28 NAMI Minnesota launched two web-based support groups for people living with a mental illness called NAMI TeleConnection. The groups are provided online and in real time, and are led by individuals who live with a mental illness themselves and are doing well in recovery. More groups may be added in the future.
NAMI Minnesota partnered with Support Groups Central, a service of Peer Support Solutions (PSS), to create this service. PSS is the company that pioneered providing virtual support groups in 2009. PSS’s purpose-built platform helps healthcare organizations to provide support to thousands of individuals in over 100 countries.
The NAMI TeleConnection groups were developed to support people who are normally underserved due to barriers like geography, transportation, physical disabilities, lack of peer support groups, lack of childcare, etc. Participants will need a device such as a computer with a microphone and optional webcam, a tablet, or smart phone.
The initial groups are: a Young Adult TeleConnection support group for ages 18-30, which meets on the 2nd & 4th Tuesdays of the month, from 7:00-8:30 p.m., and a Parent TeleConnection support group for parents who live with a mental illness who have school-aged children. The Parent group meets every Wednesday, from 8:30-10:00 p.m.
To access a group go to: www.supportgroupscentral.com/nami-mn, and click the join button. Next, fill out the necessary information to create an account, find the support group you’d like to attend and click the Register button. You can also access NAMI TeleConnection through namihelps.org/support.html. For information contact Morgan at 651-645-2948 x121 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACCESS THE SUPPORT GROUPS HERE OR CLICK THE GRAPHIC OF COMPUTER AT RIGHT
* On the landing page click the JOIN button and fill out the necessary information.
* Once you have created an account, you can register for support groups by logging into your account and clicking on the "Meeting Calendar" tab.
* Find a support group you would like to attend and click on the REGISTER button.
* Participants will need a device like a computer with a microphone and optional webcam, a tablet or smart phone.
* For information, contact Morgan at (651) 645-2948 x121 or email@example.com.