Working to improve the lives of children and adults with mental illnesses and their families
800 Transfer Road, #31
Saint Paul, MN 55114
toll free: 1-888-NAMI-Helps
It used to be that when you or a loved one had a mental health crisis, the only option was to call 911. Often this resulted in a police, not a health care, response. Now in Minnesota, across the state, there are mental health crisis services.
The crisis teams, made up of mental health professionals, can travel to the individual’s location and assess the situation. They help the individual through the crisis by providing stabilization services, intervention services, crisis prevention planning, referral to other professionals (including in some areas rapid access to psychiatrists) and follow-up services.
The crisis teams are available by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. NAMI members are urged to call them when someone is suicidal, psychotic, exhibiting out of control behavior or threatening to harm themselves or others. In some areas there are also crisis homes, where adults can stabilize without going to a hospital or emergency room.
It is a good idea to know the phone number ahead of time of the crisis team in your community. A listing of teams is available below.
• Metro Area Mental Health Crisis Response
Anoka: 763-755-3801, Carver/Scott: 952-442-7601
Dakota: 952-891-7171, Washington: 651-777-5222
Ramsey: adults - 651-266-7900, children - 651-266-7878
Hennepin: adults - 612-596-1223, children - 612-348-2233
• Urgent Care for Adult Mental Health (Ramsey, Dakota and Washington counties)
402 University Ave. E., St. Paul - Walk-ins Welcome - 651-266-7900, also is a 24/7 Mobile Crisis Team and Crisis Phone Line
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
• National Suicide Prevention LifeLine - Get Help Online, here. 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
• Metro Children's Crisis Response Phone Numbers and Information, here. Note: The Ramsey County Children's Crisis Response number has changed to 651-266-7878.
• Mental Health Mobile Crisis Teams, Fact sheet here.
• Mental Health Crisis Planning for Adults (Feb. 2016) - Download booklet, here.
• Mental Health Crisis Planning for Children (Feb. 2016) - Learn to recognized, manage, prevent and plan for your child's mental health crisis. Download booklet, here.
• Minnesota Health Care Providers Directory, here.
• Hennepin County 2015 Adult Mental Health & Chemical Health Services Directory, here.
Ramsey County Housing & Shelter Information - Coordinated Access to Housing and Shelter: 651-215-2262.